26 October 2009

From "The Man Who Was Thursday"

“We will eat and drink later," he said.
"Let us remain together a little, we who have loved each other so sadly, 

and have fought so long. 
I seem to remember only centuries of heroic war, in which you were always heroes -- 
epic on epic, iliad on iliad, and you always brothers in arms. 
Whether it was but recently (for time is nothing), or at the beginning of the world, 
I sent you out to war.

I sat in the darkness, where there is not any created thing, and to you I was only a voice commanding valour and unnatural virtue.
You heard the voice in the dark, and you never heard it again. (Still) the sun in heaven denied it, the earth and sky denied it, all human wisdom denied it…
But you acted like men. You did not forget your secret honour, though the whole cosmos turned an engine of torture to tear it out of you.
I knew how near you were to hell.
I know how you, Thursday, crossed swords with King Satan, and how you, Wednesday, named me in the hour without hope."
"I am the Sabbath," (he) said. "I am the peace of God."

  • G.K. Chesterton, from The Man Who Was Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment